Episode 544 – Time & Money Freedom from Your Cleaning Company
Beliefs Were Also Part of the Problem:
A book that was really a game changer for me was, “The E-Myth” by Michael Gerber. Like so many others, I was enchanted by “Working ON my business, not IN it” but I couldn’t figure out how to make that a reality in my life and my business.
As always, the problem was my BELIEFS. Beliefs that:
- I could do it better
- My employees would screw it up
- Me doing it would make me grow faster
- My customers DEMANDED me to do everything when they wanted it
- I couldn’t afford to hire the right people to do the right things
The problem here is, if we as business owners can’t figure this out, then we can never grow beyond the team size we are able to lead. All the work we put into our businesses has a “speed limiter” of the team we are willing to grow and the level we are willing to let others succeed AND fail. We need to have a business model that allows us to hire the right people.
I first realized this when I bought a business where I COULDN’T do the service we offered and thought I was living the “E-Myth”. When I took a year off from my business, then came back, my business was struggling and I had to “save” it. This realization hit me at a deeper level. I was “forced” to realize this when I sold my last brick & mortar and started hiring people across the world. The real opportunity of a business owner is to ONLY do the things that ONLY he or she can do!
The Framework for Creating Systems:
So all of this led me to create a system for creating systems. So let’s dive into it:
- Make sure you have a profitable model with enough margin. For years I didn’t have client attraction systems in place that gave me enough margin. I always needed more people than I could hire.
- You have to be CLEAR on exactly what the employee’s job is. So many small business owners get overwhelmed and just hire “managers” with no clear definition of exactly what they do or what success looks like.
- Break your business into three main parts (getting customers, providing service, counting money), in a PROFITABLE way. You will be a LOT clearer on EXACTLY what people are supposed to do.
- ONE person is responsible for EVERY task in your business. Others may HELP, but ONE is responsible.
- Don’t write job descriptions- write outcomes you want and work your way backwards to how they will do it. Be CLEAR on what success looks like.
- Start with a sub contractor. Hire 2-3 people on Upwork to do the same easy job, the ONE who does it best, give more small jobs.
- If it’s not building culture, casting a vision or managing systems you CAN sub it out.
- Hire more people to do more specific tasks. This keeps bottlenecks from happening.
- DON’T go for the “big operations manual”. Make SHORT videos of people doing their jobs that are easy to update.
- People won’t read your ops manual
- People WILL watch videos that they and the team made
- Easier to update a 2 min video
- Can keep videos organized
- Can involve customers in the fun
This allows me to travel and have my business and make MORE money than when I am with it.
We have three Millionaire Mastermind meetings a year and most of our members can (most DO) tack on long vacations! One of our guys just got back from three weeks in the Philippines to more money in the bank than when he left!
If you enjoyed this and would like to watch this video and others like it, click here. If you are still hungry to learn more and would like to watch our free informative webinar, head over to this link and find the most suitable time for you!
If you want to TAKE ACTION NOW and get the systems and processes that the successful people are using click here.