Episode 480 – The Secret to Happiness with Nathalie Campion
Entrepreneurs by default are driven to make goals, strive for them and then keep going. The constant need to make and achieve new goals can make you miss out on truly being happy NOW. So today we’re going to talk about some common false beliefs entrepreneurs have about happiness and how to attain it.
False Belief: Once I get to my goal, THEN I will be happy
The truth is, your happiness is a decision you make NOW, in the moment. It should not be dependent on reaching a goal you set for yourself.
False Belief: I am working to support my family, they understand that I MUST do what it takes to succeed, and that’s how they know I love them
Once your basic needs are met, the level of happiness you experience doesn’t go up commensurate with your income or success. Your family wants YOU, not your money or success
False Belief: I have plenty of time in the future to make up for the time I spend working now
The truth is, you never know when that time is up. I recently lost my brother who was only 45. I deeply regret not spending more time with him, and I can never fix that. Do not make the same mistake.
The reality is you do not want Money, Success, Stability or Status…
…you want to FEEL the way having those things will make you feel. And really, your emotions are entirely up to you. You can choose right now to be happy and content with the things you have, and have that feeling of happiness NOW.
So how do you do that?
- Do not compare your life to anyone else – the grass isn’t greener on the other side of the fence, it’s greener where you water it. There are always going to be people who are more successful than you, but I can assure you, they are not always happy
- Be Thankful for what you have. Your health, your family, a roof over your head, food in your fridge. If you have ten dollars to your name and no debt, you are wealthier than 15% of American households put together! If you have $4,210 to your name you are wealthier than 50% of the world, and if you have a net worth of $93,170 you are 90% wealthier than all the people in the world. That’s not cash in the bank, that’s net worth, meaning cash and equity in your home or other investments.
- Make time for your family and friends. Down time is crucial for your emotional well being and overall health. It’s easy to get myopic or tunnel vision when you are in a constant state of work and stress. Down time with your family gives your brain time to rest and reset.
- Start the day choosing your mindset and emotional state. Before you open your eyes in the morning, spend some time visualizing your day. Think of all you are thankful for and get into a positive and grateful frame of mind.
- Your mind cannot tell the difference between genuine and intentional body language. Choose physical postures of strength and calm. Stand up straight, smile, uncross your arms. Your intentional physical postures can greatly affect your emotional state.
- Choose your language! Replace words like “I have to” with “I choose to’ or ‘I get to”. Things like “I have a problem with x client or y employee” can be “I get to create a great solution for my x or y situation” Changing the way you perceive triggers can change how you feel about them and can greatly reduce stress or unhappiness.
- Keep a gratitude journal. Every day write down the things you are grateful for. It will help you to maintain perspective and not lose sight of what’s really important.
If you want help creating a plan to reach your goals, a track to run on that takes the stress of trial and error out so you can focus on the big picture stuff and enjoying your life, go to www.growmycleaningcompany.com right now and check out the free on demand training.
I am so grateful that we get to serve such an amazing community. I wouldn’t want to trade what I get to do every day for anything else. Happy Thanksgiving!